Do Personal Injury Claims Usually Settle Before a Lawsuit Is Filed?
The Providence personal injury lawyers at Mandell, Boisclair & Mandell, Ltd. have helped clients throughout Rhode Island for decades. Whether through successful settlement negotiations or trial verdicts, our experienced attorneys have helped the wrongfully injured in our state recover compensation for their physical, financial, and emotional losses.
When facing the prospect of legal action, many people wonder if their cases will settle before a lawsuit is filed. While accident victims want to assert their legal rights, some are hesitant to go to court.
If a fair settlement cannot be achieved through negotiations, it may be in your best interest to take your case to trial. We will negotiate with the insurance company on your behalf and advise you when filing a lawsuit is your best option.
Will Your Personal Injury Case Settle?
Here are some steps you can take to improve your chances of obtaining a personal injury settlement without going to court:
- Get medical treatment promptly and follow your doctor’s advice. The insurance companies will need to be convinced that you suffered your injuries in the accident. As a result, you should see a doctor promptly, and you should follow your doctor’s advice (or seek a second opinion) so the insurance companies can’t blame you for causing unnecessary complications.
- Collect as much evidence and record as many details as possible. Be sure to keep any photos or videos you have from the scene of the accident, and take photos of your injuries throughout the recovery process. If you have damaged clothing or other personal items, keep these as well.
- Document the financial and non-financial costs of your injuries. To maximize your chances of obtaining a fair settlement, you should also document the costs of your injuries. This includes collecting documentation of your financial costs (i.e., medical bills and employment records).
- Hire a personal injury attorney to represent you. To obtain a fair settlement, you will need an experienced attorney on your side. We will do everything in our power to help you obtain a favorable result.
- What evidence of liability is still available? To obtain a settlement, you need proof of liability. We will conduct an investigation focused on gathering the evidence needed to establish your right to just compensation.
If you believe you may have a personal injury claim, we encourage you to contact us promptly for a free initial consultation. The Providence personal injury lawyers at Mandell, Boisclair & Mandell, Ltd. have extensive experience in a range of personal injury matters. We are proud of our proven history of success and the difference we have made in the lives of our clients.
Call (401) 273-8330 or contact us online now to speak with an experienced lawyer for free.