How to Choose a Brain Injury Attorney
After suffering a traumatic brain injury caused by someone’s negligence, your choice of attorney is one of the most important decisions you will make. It’s important to understand that these cases are very complex, and require the experience, skill, and resources of a firm with extensive knowledge of both medicine and law.
Mandell, Boisclair & Mandell, Ltd. has substantial experience with cases involving serious brain damage. Our accomplished Rhode Island brain injury lawyers possess a deep knowledge of the medicine and law behind these cases. We will fight aggressively to help you obtain the compensation you need to move forward.
When choosing a brain injury attorney to represent you, consider the following:
Look For Experience with Brain Injury Cases
To give your case its best chance at success, you need a lawyer who has worked with brain injury cases before. Experience can make a tremendous difference in your claim. Experienced brain injury lawyers leverage many useful traits, including:
- Legal knowledge: Working with an attorney who knows how the law is applied to cases like yours gives you an advantage in the courtroom and at the negotiating table. This knowledge can be beneficial when pursuing compensation.
- Medical knowledge: Brain injury lawyers acquire medical knowledge through both case experience and extensive medical research. They also have access to medical experts who can assert the facts in your situation and help to strengthen your attorney’s argument.
- Knowledge of insurance companies: Experienced attorneys know how to assess the long and short-term losses you suffered as a result of your injury. If the insurance company offers you less than you need and deserve, an experienced lawyer will work to obtain a fair settlement that reflects the true extent of your economic and non-economic losses.
Some law firms shy away from the complexities of brain injury cases. However, Mandell, Boisclair & Mandell, Ltd has unparalleled experience with these cases. Our Rhode Island brain injury lawyers have substantial knowledge of the medicine behind TBIs. We know what experts to hire and how to present medical evidence in your case.
Look for Good Reviews from Clients
While you can’t trust everything you read on the internet, online reviews can serve as a good barometer of what you can expect from a prospective lawyer. A positive review reflects well on the level of legal expertise and client service you can expect.
What does this mean for you? Use your best judgment. Make a point to look beyond the number of stars to see what clients actually have to say about their experiences. When reading attorney reviews online, consider the reviewer’s:
- Satisfaction: Do the reviews illustrate satisfaction with the service clients received? Would the clients recommend this attorney to a friend or family member?
- Specificity: Look for reviews that explicitly describe the experience a client had with the prospective attorney. Single-sentence reviews don’t provide much insight into what you can expect from the lawyer.
- Case types: While every case is different, it’s worth comparing clients’ experiences with cases as similar as possible to yours.
- Authenticity: Does the review read like it was written by a real client
You should also note the attorney’s responses (or lack of responses) to reviews. Whether the review was positive or not, did the lawyer respond? If so, was the response professional and respectful? This can offer a glimpse into how the lawyer treats his or her clients.
When choosing an attorney to represent your brain injury case, client reviews should be significant factors in your decision-making process. If the reviews are mostly negative or you notice a problematic pattern (like poor responsiveness), you should consider continuing your search for another lawyer.
Look for a History of Success
A traumatic brain injury can affect every aspect of your life. Your recovery and future are too important to leave in the hands of a lawyer who has not demonstrated the ability to successfully handle complex cases like yours. You need to know your lawyer has the skill and resources necessary to obtain the compensation you deserve. Before choosing an attorney, it’s critical to know his or her history of success.
Mandell, Boisclair & Mandell, Ltd has achieved unsurpassed results in a range of personal injury cases, including those involving traumatic brain injuries. Our lawyers have been recognized as among the best personal injury attorneys by several prestigious organizations, including Super Lawyers, Best Lawyers, and more. We know how to achieve success in and out of the courtroom, and we put that knowledge to work for you.
Discuss Your Case with the Attorney
Contact the firm to schedule an initial consultation with the prospective lawyer. Your initial TBI consultation should be free, so you risk nothing by meeting with a lawyer to discuss your case.
This complimentary consultation is your opportunity to get to know the brain injury attorney you are considering. It is also a chance for the lawyer to learn about the circumstances surrounding your injury and assess the merits of your case. During this initial meeting, your lawyer will listen to your side of the story and explain your rights and legal options.
While you are talking to the attorney, consider the following questions:
- Are you able to communicate effectively with the lawyer?
- Does the attorney listen to you and address your questions or concerns?
- Are you able to express yourself openly and honestly about all matters?
- Did the attorney seem rushed and impatient, or did he or she appear patient and understanding?
- Do you feel as if you can trust the lawyer?
- Do you feel that you were treated with respect and professionalism?
Not only are initial consultations free of charge, but they are also free of obligation. Discussing your case with a lawyer does not tether you to that attorney or firm in any way. The decision to move forward with any lawyer is your decision alone.
If someone else’s negligence caused you or a loved one to suffer a severe brain injury, you deserve justice for your physical, emotional, and financial losses. The brain injury attorneys at Mandell, Boisclair & Mandell, Ltd. may be able to help. We understand the complexities of these difficult cases and we are committed to protecting the rights and best interests of our clients.
Contact our office today online or at (401) 273-8330 to speak with a TBI lawyer for free. We proudly serve clients throughout Rhode Island, including Providence and other nearby areas.